Monday, May 30, 2011

A Veteran's Song

It's another Memorial Day... which means it's time for our 9th Annual Memorial Day Shrimp Boil!  I can't get over how fast time flies!  Luckily, Tommy took off a little extra time to prep for this year's event.  It was so much harder for me than I expected it to be.  I had to keep taking breaks to let the swelling go down in my leg, my back did NOT want to cooperate while I tried to clean the house, and I just couldn't get myself as happily motivated as usual.  I was getting nervous that we wouldn't be able to get things together in time, but my hubby went above & beyond to make sure everything went well.  I love that guy... I think I'll keep him  (hee hee).

Rachel also wanted to help!  She is growing up so fast, it's scary!  But she helped clean up her toys, and is now our resident dishwasher emptier... at least as far as the plastics & silverware are concerned (AFTER I remove all the knives... oy)

Anyway, the party was a success as always, despite the weather being a little uncooperative for the very first time!  It rained on and off throughout the day, but EVENTUALLY (after dinner!) it was dry enough to let the kids play in the pool for a while! 
We are just so glad everyone seemed to  have a good time...  and as usual, we had old friends and some new ones to share the day... I just can't believe someone actually stole one of the American flags off the front lawn! I just hope they did it so they could remember our Service Men & Women... not just to be rude...  Because even though we spend the day enjoying the company of our friends & the fantastic food (thanks to my honey), the TRUE reason for the day is to honor those who have kept us free... So for that reason, I personally want to share my heartfelt gratitude... Thank you to all the Military families of the USA.  The soldiers fighting for the right to be free, and the families of those soldiers who are keeping vigil at home...  And to those who made the ULTIMATE sacrifice, BLESS YOU!
 The buffet table... shrimp boil was still being prepared but you get the idea... lol
 Some of the family & friends... It worked out pretty well! Most everyone stayed out poolside, but the rest were either in the family room or in the bar (where Rachel learned the fine art of winning on our slot machine! Thank you Uncle Bill!! LOL
 Meri & Lexi, who shocked the *@#^% out of me... I almost fell over when I saw just how TALL that kid has gotten!  such a beauty! 
 some steamers for snacking... Most of the rest we did raw... poor Tommy was shucking forEVER... lol...
 Rachel was having the time of her life with her "Boyfriend" Nick.  (Yes, I know she looks too serious here, but that's because she got mad that I insisted she let me take her picture!)
These 2 were INSEPARABLE all day!!!  Nick was absolutely WONDERFUL with her!  He kept her laughing & happy the whole time he was there!
 Kissie, kissie, kissie!
 The cat that ate the canary? 
 2 of my girls from the M.O.M. group (Meeting of the Minds).  wish the rest of the group could have made it... ONE of these years! LOL
We decided to have Mom dish out her INFAMOUS salad!  That way we knew everyone would get a little of everything!  She is the best salad maker on the planet, as far as I'm concerned!  Thanks Mom!!!

No comments:

Our Story

My photo
We are the proud parents of a beautiful little girl. I have not stopped smiling since the moment they placed her in my arms. We adopted her Sept 2008 and it's been nothing but wonderful! She is the best reason to open my eyes every day! Currently living in SW Florida. I've also become a MAJOR Twilight junkie, so now I'm told I'm a TWI-MOM & I LOVE it!

Our Daughter Rachel MeiLi

Our Daughter Rachel MeiLi
Rachel MeiLi

Red Thread Legend

Red Thread Legend
Chinese Red Thread Legend

Counter

Jodi's Greatest Hits - Some of my Favorite Tunes